Take Care of Your Roof
Roof Deicing Systems
Most roofs are designed to take the beating delivered by Mother Nature, but like everything else, roofs have an effective lifespan, so to prevent possible leaks and costly water damage it is recommended to inspect your roof once in the fall in the fall and once in the springtime every year.
Look for damaged, loose and missing shingles, loss of granules on asphalt shingles, deterioration of the sleeves and flashing at vent pipes, and corrosion or damage of other roof flashing. (“Flashing” helps direct the flow of water around openings.) Also, take a look after any severe weather event.
Helpful Roof Information
A quality roof is the key protective element of your home. A poor quality roof can wreak havoc
with the interior once it starts to leak. Staining, mold, and rot can be the results of water intrusion.
So when it comes to installing your home’s roof, keep these factors in mind:
● Multiple-layer roof – A roof installed over an existing roof will have a shorter life.
● Quality of roofing material – You get what you pay for. “Economy” roof materials have a shorter life.
● Proper installation – Sloppy or improper installation shortens roof life.
● Attic ventilation – An unventilated or poorly ventilated attic reduces roof lifespan.
● Trees near the roof – Tree branches rubbing on a roof or the acidity from the accumulation of leaf debris on a roof can shorten the life of roof shingles.
● Harsh climate – Severe weather, including hot summers as well as harsh winters. Dramatic temperature swings within a 24-hour period also shorten lifespan because of the rapid expansion and contraction of the roof materials.
Common Causes for Roof Leaking
1. Poorly installed or missing flashings
2. Incorrect installation of the roofing material
3. Temporary repairs with mastic or caulk
4. Ice and debris in gutters
5. Improper deck over roof or low slope roof used as a deck
6. Bolted-thru satellite dishes, solar systems
7. Damaged plumbing boots
8. Trees scraping or impacting the roof
9. Ice dams
10. Roofing material deterioration
More Roof Heating Options